Meet Our Staff
Cathy Sulentic-Morcom, PT, DPT/Owner
Cathy has worked in the Northern Black Hills since 1986 and has called the Black Hills her home for most of her life. In 1995, Cathy established Black Hills Physical Therapy, Inc, an independently owned private physical therapy outpatient clinic committed to providing the highest quality, evidence- based Physical Therapy services to the Northern Black Hills. She has been a committed member of the American Physical Therapy Association since 1981 and actively involved in the South Dakota Physical Therapy Association, holding several offices and committee positions.
- Post-professional Doctorate in Physical Therapy
- Evidence in Motion Institute of Health Professions with emphasis on Executive Private Practice Management, 2014
- Master of Physical Therapy degree from the University of North Dakota, 1993
- Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Therapy, 1983
Extensive continuing educational background in manual therapy and orthopedic post-graduate course work.
- Manual Therapy
- Work Injuries
- Ergonomic Training
- Functional Job Analysis
- Functional Capacity Evaluation
- General Orthopedics
- Hand Therapy
- Certified Workwell Systems industrial medicine provider: FCE, FJA, PWS
- Certified ASTYM soft tissue treatment provider
South Dakota Physical Therapist of the Year, 2006
Cathy feels blessed to be working in a profession she loves and believes in. Outside of work she enjoys biking, skiing, golfing and generally being in the great outdoors.
Jens Matson, PT, DPT, OCS, CMPT
Jens’ passion for Physical Therapy resides in being able to establish a personal connection with each patient he treats. He utilizes a patient-centered approach and strives to establish individualized treatment plans for each person with consideration and focus on the unique needs and goals of each individual.
After earning his DPT, Jens entered a two-year post-doctural residency in orthopedics and manual therapy and is a board-certified clinical specialist in orthopedic physical therapy. He specializes in care and prevention of orthopedic and musculoskeletal injuries, orthopedic manual therapy, sports rehabilitation, and has a special interest in the care of patients with post-concussion syndrome.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy. Creighton University, 2014
- Postdoctural Residency in Orthopedic Physical Therapy 2017
- Certified Manual Physical Therapist (COMT) North American Institute of Orthopedic Manual Therapy 2017
- BA Double major Exercise Physiology and Studio Art. St. Olaf College, 2010
- Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS) America Physical Therapy Association
- Certified Manual Physical Therapist (CMPT) The North American Institute of Orthopedic Manual Therapy (NAIOMT)
- Post-Concussion Syndrome Treatment/Management
- Balance/Vestibular Dysfunction Evaluation/Treatment
- Tempromandibular Dysfunction and Headache
- Selective Functional Movement Screening (SFMA)
- OCS. Orthopedic Clinical Specialist –American Physical Therapy Association
- CMPT. Certified Orthopedic/Manual Therapist –NAIOMPT
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
- USCSA Collegiate All-American Nordic Skiing 2008,2010
- Member USCSA National Championship Team 2008
Jens enjoys spending his free time outdoors throughout the Black Hills—golfing, backpacking and camping, fishing, skiing and hiking with his wife, Maria.
Maria Matson, PT, DPT
Maria is passionate about combining manual therapy techniques with exercise and functional movements to help her patients reach their goals and live their best lives. She enjoys treating patients of all ages with orthopedic injuries, neuromuscular conditions , post-surgery and chronic pain. In addition to physical therapy, Maria specializes in Alignment Based Yoga and is passionate about making yoga accessible and safe to everyone, young and old.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Creighton University, 2013
- B.S. Combined Sciences, Santa Clara University, 2008
- Registered Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance, 2017
- Extensive post-doctural education through the North American Institute of Orthopedic Manual Therapy
- Manual Physical Therapy and Orthopedics
- Alignment Based Yoga focus
- Selective Functional Movement Assessments (SFMA)
- Balance /Vestibular Evaluation and Treatment
- ASTYM Soft Tissue Treatment
- Aquatic Therapy
- Fluent Spanish speaking
- SFMA. Selective Functional Movement Screening
- Alignment Based Yoga Instructor
Outside of the clinic she enjoys hiking, stand up paddle boarding, yoga, exploring the Black Hills and traveling.